Yb:YAG crystal is one of the most promising laser-active materials and more suitable for diode-pumping than the traditional nd-doped systems. It can be pumped at 0.94mm laser output. Compared with the commonly used Nd:YAG crystal, Yb:YAG crystal has a much larger absorption bandwidth to reduces thermal management requirements for diode lasers, a longer upper-state lifetime, three to four times lower thermal loading per unit pump power. Yb:YAG crystal is expected to replace Nd:YAG crystal for high power diode-pumped lasers and other potential applications.
ATOM has recently developed a suitable technique to produce the Yb:YAG crystal High quality Yb:YAG crystals are available with different specifications.
- Very low fractional heating, less than < 11%
- Very high slope efficiency
- Broad absorption bands, about 18nm @ 940nm
- No excited-state absorption or up-conversion
- Conveniently pumped by reliable InGaAs diodes at 940nm (or 970nm)